Wednesday 30 January 2019

Cruelty Free Items you can buy right now.


Bold title in Pink Cruelty Free Items you can buy right now with product snaps in the back

Trigger Warning for all the perfect cruelty free and vegan people reading wHo HaVe AlWaYs BeEn AlL tHeIr LiVeS. HERE is a low key rant from Fairly Local Vegan. Being destructive makes no one a better person. I'm doing the best I can.

Buying cruelty free cosmetics and personal care items have been at the top of my list the past 2 years. My question to myself was always: Why must an animal suffer/die because I just want to clean my hands with soap/ put on lip balm/ wash my hair/ blend eye shadow. There are no standardized laws about how to keep these animals. They don't play in the field after a day of work or even a safe space to sleep at night. You might think they test only on rats and rabbits.
Nope.
They test on dogs too.
I didn't finish reading and articles or linking because it's graphic a.f. and I just can't. I just typed in “why do they use Beagles for testing”
Digressing . . . vegan items are a bonus and it also seems to be the way the industry is slowly moving towards.

Side note:
🐰Cruelty Free ~ Not Tested on Animals
🌱 Vegan ~ No animal derived ingredients (Carmine, Bees Wax, Honey, Silk ect.) also not tested on animals

Anyways, here are some of my fave products that you can go out and buy today. Not spons, not an ad. Just stuff that I enjoy:

The Good Stuff co.

🐰🌱🆉🅰

Light brown Supa wood board background with The good stuff products in clear and white bottles


Being broad with them because they have a massive range. Cruelty free and most of their range has vegan options(the Bee Natural Range has Honey but it's best to refer to their website to be sure but the packaging is clearly marked). I first enjoyed their hand creams because they absorbed super quickly and after that everything else. I love the shampoo, conditioner, day and night cream, serum, hand wash. I know I can pick up any of their products and they will be great. The exxtra Care and repair shampoo was the BEST shampoo EVER for my bleached hair. I could comb through it the just the shampoo. 10/10 I recommend. 

Back of white the Good stuff bottle marked with the leaping bunny and vegan friendly


Available at Dischem and Pick n Pay but the bigger range is at Dischem.

Oh So Heavenly! ~ Clicks

🐰🌱🆉🅰

Light brown supa wood background with pink, light blue and purple Oh So Heavenly products

I think by now we all know the batch gift sets of cream and shower gel you get when the person didn't know what to get you for Christmas/ your birthday. Get ready to fall in love with that sh!t. My love actually started with their lip balm. I was looking for a balm that was cruelty free. I still have good old 'name brand' and popular 'name brand' balms and for the sake of not being waste full I will use them until they are finished but their lip balms are heavy good. The Vanilla Cupcake Bubble balm and the more traditional stick balm in Moisture Burst is always on my repurchase list.
 
Light brown Supa wood back with light blue traditional balm and light purple bubble balm


As with Good Stuff, not everything is vegan but it's clearly marked. HERE is the link to the full list of options.

Supa wood back with Light purple Oh so Heavenly Handsanitizer with Bunny and Vegan mark


They are exclusive to Clicks. The range has hair care, skin care and personal hygiene items as well as fun stuff like air fresheners, Candles and the Positively Pink range where they donate to assist women with Breast Cancer. (Bonus points for that.)

Pick N Pay Green:

🐰🌱🆉🅰

[No Picture because I deleted it. Good Job Michellé]

Here is where cruelty free costs a bit more than our mass produced tested faves. Cleaning products. They are considerably more expensive. Here is my experience with each product:

Dish washing Liquid: I'm sorry. I use this but it is not as effective as old Sunlight liquid. I buy two 500 ml bottles a month because it's so sh!tty. I am hoping buy buying this that they will improve the formulation. Trying to be frugal and spending close R50 on dish washing liquid for my conscience. You do that existential math.

Oven Cleaner: Meh. It's okay. It's a repeat buy, nothing worse or better than competitors.

Toilet Cleaner: At a few Rands more expensive than competitors, I don't feel like it cleans any worse. This is also a monthly buy. I've bought it for the last . . . since it came out. I went to Harpic in November 2018 because of Mrs. Hinch but bought it again. I don't know what that says. Mrs. Hinch is an actual influencer. Boss.

Window Cleaner: This is a top, 5 star product. I will never go back to any other. I don't know what they did with this product but I hope this will eventually be the whole range. Effective and easy to use. It is a jam.

They use to also have an All Purpose Cleaner, Kitchen, Bathroom and Floor cleaner but I don't find them on the website nor have I bought them. Except for the All purpose cleaner that I do buy every two months and it's good. I bought from another brand that you dilute a concentrate so I am still working to use it up. What I can remember is that they were generally good. Hope they are “Window Cleaner”ing them.

Pick n Pay Green in PnP by Pick 'n' Pay.

The Simple Truth

🐰🌱🆉🅰

Brown Background with two clear Simple Truth bottles


Come through Checkers. Yaaaaaas. The range is small at 5 products but I am here for it. All Purpose Cleaner cream, Multi purpose Cleaner spray , Dishwashing Liquid, Fabric softener and Liquid Laundry Detergent. I will probably be buying the rest of the range and trying them out. I'm hype for the fabric softener because Mrs. Hinch (here she is again) uses it everywhere. The clean walls to freshen sofas and pillows.

Back of Simple truth bottel with Beauty without cruelty Bunny and recycling info


The Multi Purpose Spray I used when deep cleaned 2 bathrooms, the main bedroom and hallway. I used it the clean the top of the closets, walls and tiles in the bathrooms. It worked pretty well. The dish washing liquid is the same as the PnP Green. It, like all of us, it can be better.

Cosnova Brand

Essence Cosmetics, Catrice and L.O.V

🐰

Messy flat lay of make up like lip gloss, powder, eyeshadow pallets and ey pencils


Here is where I feel you need to make a call for yourself. The aren't Leaping Bunny or Beauty without Cruelty approved but HERE is their story

How Cosnova works is; Essence range is age 16 to 25, Catrice is 25 to 35 and L.O.V is 35 and up. Looking at their products and ranges, is that they test formulas and trends in the Essence range, then it gets refined at Catrice and the final version of the same item ends up at L.O.V.
 Fight me.

As a early 30s 'adult' I still love Essence and buy Catrice (just as they planned). Essence eyeshadows are like a will they won't they romantic comedy. Some are patchy and powdery and some are the best shadow ever in the world. Close Too Face like

Pure Nude Single - Coffee Bean ~ Patchy A.F.
Wood you love me Palette - Darkest brown ~ Better
Melted Chrome Single - 02 Ironic ~ Best glittery eye shadow ever!
Too Faced Then and Now Palette - NSFW

Catrice's long pallets are questionable but there new singles are WOW

Arm with a beautifull brown to blue duo chrome swatch out of a single eye shadow and three lame swatched out of a 6 pan pallet


I love both's face powders (I don't care about ”flashback”, I care about being not shiny irl. I don't plan on exposing my life on Snapchat or stories like some beauty guru) and Catrice has great primers. A few items are also vegan. Though they don't really state it, some of their powders are reformulated to be paraben-free.

I own nothing from L.O.V . I'm too cheap.

I also don't buy any complexion products because range. I can't recommend and my readers can't go in and try anything. Let's be real, this is South AFRICA and the melanin is rich and the time for 3~5 shades are over. Rather buy a nail polish. It's cheaper and they have nudes for all there.

Not manufactured in ZA but they are brought in and managed by South African team, Cosmetix

Essence Cosmetics is available at Dischem, Clicks, Foschini, Edgars and selected Pick 'n Pays.
Catrice and L.O.V at Dischem.
Also all on Takealot.com

L.A. Girl

🐰

Brow board with flat lay of foundation, powders, Palettes and liquid lipstick


This brand is from the USA. Half of my everyday make up is comprised of their products. They have the best range of complexion products that range from BB Creams to full coverage matte foundation. The big Beauty Brick palettes are questionable (please note I still own all 4 and use them regularly) but I like the formula of the smaller Eye Lux 4 pan. I don't want to talk too much about this because this post is already long. That pic has all the items I own and are all well used.

Available only at Dischem.

Wet 'n' Wild

🐰 mostly🌱

light brown background with flat lay of liquid eye liner liquid lipstick, highlighter, blush and brushes


The best liquid eyeliner. The best highlighter. One of the best liquid lipsticks. Most affordable brushes. There are a few items even your Gucci of YouTubers love and never replace. LaMer, Sisley and Wet n Wild all live in harmony on one face. They also have a large amount of vegan items, HERE is their list.

I have not once been disappointed with the quality of any of the products (accept again I could not recommend their Photo Focus Foundation. Especially since the first 3 shades launched were not even close to even my colour. I had to use bronzer. Clicks did extend with a few shades, but there is a bigger range shown on the Wnw website.)

Exclusive to Clicks as well as online.

These are my recommendations for a start. If you are deciding to make a change, don't dump your currents. Finish 👏 your 👏 products 👏 .

Don't get discouraged. There will be a time, I feel especially with the cleaning products, where you might not find an item or you get gifted a non cruelty free item. Also don't let the 'perfect' cruelty free crusaders (usually on the internet or a Peta extremist) influence you into thinking what you are doing is not good enough. also get educated by the people will to give advise.

Doing something like reconsidering a brand or item or replacing make up products is 100% better than conscientiously not caring at all. This can go way deeper with “Parent brands” but I feel if you do your research and see the bunny on the packaging you are good to go.


Here are my resources for making choices:



There are many other brands and products but these are the most common and make it easy for a start. Please also know that as I was suppose to be editing the pictures of this post, I was looking for CF hair bleach. Pro-Active or Pro-crastenation?

Michellé

No comments:

Post a Comment